Friday, October 17, 2008

Hard Rain's Gonna Fall

This week gave us an example of slim probabilities. A hurricane moving north east through the Caribbean. One that missed us and fled as quickly as it arrived. Nerves abound prior to it's passage, nerves all ready being tested by economic strife and the uncertainty of things out of our reach and control.

As I crest the unforgiving hills on the north shore I am reminded of our utter insignificance in the greater scheme of nature. The road my feet traverses seem infantile and unsustainable when coupled with the reclaiming power of nature and I often think when our time as a species is finished here, what will this stretch of earth I propel my body across look like. The foliage is creeping onto the road from all the rain, the mountainsides effort to reclaim what has been carved out and taken away previously. The water as it cascades through the forest roars its claim to this land and settles into a place of merger with the sea. I move along to these thoughts and sounds and feel privileged to be able to run year round in such a magnificent setting, one many people only dream of, and in that singular thought, for that moment, I have communed with a force that goes by so many names that we will kill one another in its name. " A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall"

A proud agnostic running for those moments of clarity that often arrive when you push the body's limits to places that you thought were unattainable, and in the quest so lays the answer but never the end.

We all run for different reasons and I have found that they sometimes change daily and that they are vastly different than when I first started. So as each one becomes a journey in itself I push the body to open the mind and hope for an answer or 3 along the way.

Be well

No comments: