Sunday, February 28, 2010

COMPLETION

What occurs to me most in running races is the never ending lust to do our best. It is driven inside most of us by our own self propelled vision of how good we can be. It knaws away at you as a constant reminder that there is something inside of us all that simple will not allow a shody performance to prevail. Yesterday's 8 Tuff Miles race was one such instance. In completing the course, and having the pleasure of watching my 8 year old son finish the race also, I realized that in the moment of completion we take the next step forward. The moment of crossing the finish line strengthens the resolve of not only all participants, but their friends, family and others who cross paths with them.

This years run was not a stellar one for me, I felt off before the first mile and struggled to climb hills that I owned in my training. I was very nervous and anxious at the start, as I am at any race I do, but as I began to run I could tell something was off. As I ponder what happened I am reminded of other races that I simply aced and went beyond what I thought I could do. No runner ever really want to have slower times of course, but it is a simple fact of running and racing. Regardless of the reasons for a slower run than anticipated, the fact remains that in any shortcoming in life the opportunity to improve becomes more prevalent and presents itself to us as if to say "ok, now what?" What we do with that gift of sorts varies greatly and make many of us better people and stronger runners. In completing the lesson of a race or run we then get to move on and take the next step or opportunity. It is up to each and every one of us to determine what that will be.

My legs were sore today as I did over 12 miles. The course was 8.38 miles of pure hell at the pace I tried to run and eventually ran. I do not ever run that fast in training. My time was good enough for a 3rd place finish in my age group this year. It was slower than the year before and that bothers me but also reminds me that this is like anything else in life, you never really know what to expect until you are in the midst of it all. As I ran and was being passed by runners I outpaced last year I began to feel despondent but in the end I realized I was only 2 minutes off the year before and it was actually a good day after all. After finishing the race I walked up the hill 2 miles and met up with my 8 year old son and we walked and ran back down to the finish line. He was awesome and really surprised me at how fast he can run down those hills in short spurts. I got to run down the finisher chute twice yesterday, and the second time with him was a blast as we both sprinted towards the finish line and me ducking out at the last 20 feet or so and letting him cross and get his medal. It was his first 8 Tuff Miles race and he was still full of energy after the race playing with all his friends at the finish line. So many kids do this race every year and learn lessons they do not even know they are learning. Learning while having fun is "Child's Play" plain and simple.

This race also taught me about the evolution of certain people and of the race itself. I have had the fortune of running 4 of these in a row now and it is simply awe inspiring to watch everyone finish and accomplish, in many cases, something they never thought they could or would do. I really feel lives are changed for the better out there on the course and that moments of utter clarity are achived for many as a result of their accomplishments. This event has grown to encompass way more than a road race for St. John. I have witnessed all the twist and turns over the years not only on the course but in the nature of the race itself. We now have a new champion and new levels are being set by runners who simply defy human limitations and show us all how good we can be when we are dedicated and focused. A new course record was set, shattering the old one by over 3 minutes and a new breed of runners is emerging from the hills of St. John on race day. We will all need to be ready next year if we are to stay competitive as the field simply gets faster every year, thus challenging us to be better at all we do. Running lessons are always all around us and show us how to deal with life at large.

The road to any race ends at some point in time. Completion is put into motion when we cross the finish line and is then propelled into our daily lives. We then disperse our success on the course into other avenues of living and life. All runners know that running is a Metaphor for life, and that in our accomplishments we build bridges and in our failures we rebuild that which becomes broken. Yesterdays race was way more than a road race and puts forth the premise that growth and change occur no matter what we do. The evolution of the 8TM's show us that nothing remains stagnate and "All Things Must Pass"

If you are a runner I feel a kinship with you and wish you Godspeed and if you have never run I can assure you if you start it will change you life for the better. It is really a powerful activity that goes way beyond a fit body. See you all at the finish line next year! Be Well

No comments: