Saturday, November 22, 2008

The Big 3- Heat, Hills, and Humidity

Running on St. John poses challenges that I often phrase as the 3H club. The hills, heat and humidity toughen you up rather quickly when you push yourself. I did not take up this sport to simply jog a few miles daily, although that in itself is a triumph for our sedentary society and I applaud anyone for doing so. No, I run to propel my physical limits beyond what most people in their 50's would do and more importantly to obtain a sense of elation and often blissful rapture. 3-4 miles into an accelerated run often produces a clarity and insight that will put me at ease for the remainder of the day and then some. Thus the 3H's work on all the levels that sustain my overall well being. They are the Big 3 for runners on St. John. Not preparing for or respecting them will spell disaster sooner or later. Running injuries are rarely due to a single incident, sure a twisted ankle or a fall occur, but are usually the culmination of a host of mistakes in training that one day manifest in an impairment in our ability to continue at our current training levels, or at all, depending on the severity. This is the time, if used wisely, we become better runners as we reflect on the causes of our affliction and route the course to recovery and most importantly refashion our training techniques that led to our affliction.

Detroit has ignored the prior set backs and blows to its industry thinking we need them and the products they produce. Their aliments are no different than a runners in time of distress. I am still running because I took heed after several injuries in my first year. They are faltering simply because they did not. Rewarding failure is the single most devastating signal you can send to the society at large. I am all for socialized programs that feed the hungry and educate our children, but I will be Damned if I will support, along with the consensus of most Americans(nice to be in the majority for a change), any so called bailout of the Big 3. Tens of thousands of small businesses are going under as we speak and our government is doing very little, if any thing at all to help them. Why is it that the bigger and greedier you get a magic safety net seems to go along for safe keeping?

I know that a lot of jobs are at stake here. I get it, but we MUST let them fail in order to create the openings for smaller companies to produce the products we need. There are a lot of smaller companies like Tesla that will lead the way to provide us with the products we will need to move forward and change the way we think about transportation in this country. I use the word products because the automobile will not and should not be the utter necessity it is now. The companies that will create the jobs lost by the Big 3 failure will lead us into an age of transportation that makes sense for the overall society and not individual needs. I support making sure no Big 3 worker loses their pension, the government should guarantee the workers that, but beyond that the Big 3 should pay for the sins of their fathers. They kept building vehicles that did nothing to alleviate global warming and gas consumption and now they come begging to congress fresh off their private jets. When the car companies starting tearing up all the rail lines in this country and making it a necessity to drive a car, that was the beginning of this whole mess and now they must pay. The party is over and the opportunity for a host of new companies to fill the void of the Big 3 is as welcome as the return of the cool breezes that lavish the north shore and add to the joy of my daily runs.

What ever we do in life, if not thought out or prepared for, usually ends in a haphazard venue of failure. My runs are carefully plotted and thought about and I always know why I am running a particular route and what I am expecting from it. Failure has its upsides, but for the impatient it has no merit.

We are turning a corner and page in history, and on Jan. 20th 2009, we will usher in a new way of thinking and we must let the heavy weight of the current US auto industry die along with the aimless irregularities of the Bush administration. It's true it is always darkest before the dawn. I will see you all at Sunrise!
.

No comments: