Saturday, December 27, 2008

X-MAS EVE RUNNERS TRIANGLE

I had not planned a sunset run on the eve of X-Mas but one occurred nonetheless. That is what makes this sport so appealing, especially to a lone wolf like myself. Anytime is the time, barring other commitments of course. Many celebrating these holidays believe in the Holy Trinity. A fierce Agnostic like myself dismisses religion and believes it, along with over zealous Patriotism and Nationalism is the death of any free thinking society and the major contributor to disharmony in our lives.

The runners triangle is a lot simpler, yet pulls at us sometimes as aggressively as the Evangelicals trying to save our souls while they themselves live their lives of smug superiority over us lost pagans! Balancing running, work and family is the tightrope act we try to create even-handedly. Someone recently said to me, during a disagreement and in an emotional moment, your mantra now is "I gotta get my run in". It was true. I run 5 days a week and sometimes have to rearrange my schedule to do so. I have had a lot of weeks where I ran 6 days. I simply love it. It is categorically a part of me now. I refuse to change that for a host of practical and useful reasons that will appear in a future blog. This triangle, which must be equilateral in order to flourish, must be balanced and that, at times, takes a lot of planning and sacrifice to accomplish.

Plans changed on the morning of X-mas eve and my run for that day would now be at sunset rather than the afternoon one I had previously mapped out. X-Mas, in my humble, Pagan(LOL), opinion is all about the kids. Santa is pure magic and congers up a host of merriment and wondrous recollections that last a lifetime. My most memorable moments as a child stem from all the activities that surround the holidays and are now being passed on to my children. So I donned a red running singlet and a Santa hat and made my way from my house on centerline road to the North Shore for a 7 mile X-mas eve sunset run that included a rainbow as I approached the Trunk Bay overlook. My pace was brisk and I felt very strong and happy knowing my son would be ecstatic on X-mas morning and that this run added some joy to the host of onlookers in their cars and jeeps and trucks on the road that night. A very lean Santa, economic times have been tough, running up the Northshore in the Tropics was enough to evoke a multitude of shouts, waves, thumbs up, peace signs and abundant smiles from the onlookers inside their vehicles. Normally I pay little attention to what is going on inside the cars, rather I am monitoring them for safety reasons and road logistics. But on this night my eyes where fixated on the smiles and good cheer from the passerbys, especially the carloads of children that passed by. A run is usually a very solitary event, steeped in deep thought and solace, but tonight was a shared event and one I will always remember.

Be us Christians, Jews, Muslims or Atheist or any one of the multitude of other organized religions, we all share a common responsibility in leaving a better planet behind for our children and through running and physical fitness I am doing just that. Perhaps if we all kept our religious views to ourselves this might lend for a better world, but what do Godless running junkies know anyway.

No comments: