Wednesday, February 17, 2010

WASTE

The bi-product a cluttered mind surely produces it, as does our simple act of living on such a fragile Eco system such as Earth. It is a killer is so many ways that if it is not contained properly we begin to suffer as a species and as an individual. I produce lots of waste like any other. The key to reduction of such a needless and frivolous array of physical and mental muddle is simply to consume less and then reuse whatever we can salvage and then let the rest go!!

I have a very simple formula for releasing the chaos that creeps into my mind daily. Well this is a runners blog so you know where I am going with this or do you? Is it that simple to go for a run and clear your head? The laws of physics are at play here as are the laws of karma, or mental and spiritual cause and effect. Is it safe to say as we run and clear a negative thought or emotion that it must be replaced with something else in order for the balance we all seek to be maintained? Does something else fill the void we leave when we process and release that which previously enters our being and invades our well being to the point of having to exorcise such thoughts? As we run and ponder we also plot and chart. We plan our next move and see them often in a clearer arena than when they are presented to us under the guise of everyday living. I find as one thought leaves another always follows and the filtering of these is a true balancing act. Nowhere in my 53 years have I found a better stage to attempt this feat than in running. It is simply the most comprehensive mind adjuster I have ever found and it has physical bi products that are unmatched as far as cardiovascular health is concerned. It's funny that I now view the physical side of running as the bi product when in fact myself and most people start running for the physical improvements it most certainly rewards us with. I long, pun intended, for the run for my mind now and not my body. It has had such an effect on me that I, like many other runners, crave the run. An addiction for sure in my case, as is for many other runners, but the effects in this case are positive overall vrs. what occurs in more traditional addictions such as substance abuse and alcohol. The running junkie that I have become does crave his fix. Yes his fix, as that is what I attempt out there on the trails and roads, to fix that which is not acceptable to me as a person at this stage of my development.

Be it a 3 mile jog or a 20 mile long tempo run, the simple act of running produces an avenue of opportunity for anyone who tries it and will reward anyone who devotes to it. The greatest gift I ever gave myself was making the time to run. It's like being granted a wish and you wish for a thousand more wishes. When you run it becomes a constant flow of possibilities in which we are able to immerse in. Runners already know this inherently. Non runners ofttimes scoff at us and think us erratic or crazy to run in heat, hill, humidity and in the snow and in the mountains and on trails. I must concur because I thought the very same of runners before I became one. It won't take a non runner long once they begin to run to convert. I have a bumper sticker that says "Running is cheaper than therapy" Read between these lines and enjoy the ride of running as it will always take you to places you thought never possible. Remember, it is not the destination but the journey and waste must always be processed for anything positive to result from it. Thanx and Be Well.

No comments: