Wednesday, October 19, 2011

OCCUPATION

Sometimes our occupations and families have the potential to inhibit us from running. I can assure that will only occur if you let it. Dedication pursued with passion has virtually no natural enemies. It is like a powerful creature grazing in the wilds, gently consuming the plants and shrubs that sustain its very life. These creatures are compelled to graze through millenniums of DNA programing. They are only manipulated into eating otherwise through the greed of man to turn them into a food commodity and view them as nothing more than pounds of flesh on the open market. Similarly, getting sidetracked with running can only occur when we allow ourselves to be manipulated by the false pretense of time and the  self imposed panics that we do not have enough hours in the day or the week. It's a great myth really, one I struggled with over the summer when my running slacked off from the normally intense regimen I put my mind, spirit and body through on my daily runs. I am on day 19 of a running streak and very back on track. I have committed to a cause and tied it to my spirit. Once that occurs I am usually unstoppable. It works for me so I pursue that avenue of exploration for my running. We have choices, lots of them. Cows, pigs chickens and the rest HAD choices of sorts, until they were delegated  to slavery for the mere amusement of the human palate. You see where this is going. I eat "Plant Based" and in doing so can say that I do not support the free will of animals to be raised for nothing more than mere flesh. As I run here I always see some sort of animal along the winding roads of this Volcanic Wonder know as St. John. These animals, although one day will be slaughtered for their flesh, at least get to live out their lives grazing and roaming and staying true to their DNA. When we as humans are given so many choices, especially in this country, we always seem to think they are entitled, when in fact they must be earned.

If your occupation and family require a lot of your time, as most people's do, then it is simply an intense regimented approach that you will have to give yourself, no matter what, 30-90 minutes a day to do what you know is good for your overall being. Running is the Holy Grail my friends. I use to literally question the sanity of people on St. John running these hills in mid day heat just 6 years ago. Why would anyone want to do that I pondered. After my first 8 Tuff Miles Road Race here I became a runner. Two months later in Chicago at a 10 miler I became a road racer. 5 plus years later, at 55, my mid life crisis has rewarded me on a multitude of levels. Time is not your enemy here, but the lack of managing it properly is. You are merely asking yourself for approximately 5% of your days time. Five Percent!!!  Think very carefully and methodically about that. Lots of talk in the media these days about  One Percent and 99%.  Lots!  So put it in perspective. Get up an hour earlier and counter balance that with going to bed an hour earlier. It's a simple wash. I will absolutely guarantee you that your life and thought process and sense of over all well being will soar after an early morning run. I could care less how fast you go. 15 minute miles or 6 minute miles are all still a mile. Repeat.... 15 minute miles or 6 minute miles are all still a mile. A lot of us value our occupation immensely, so much in fact it becomes a priority in our lives. Something that important to us should and needs to be enjoyed and reveled in and when immersed in should be rewarding. Running provides that sense; it instills purpose into your thoughts and before you know it you are enjoying your occupation to its fullest.

Occupation and Occupy, these are the thoughts that run through this runner's mind on these early morning scurries in the humidity on the hills here. I have worked my whole life to try to retire early, 60-70 hour weeks year after year, and the utter greed on wall street and around the world has greatly diminished the accounts I have set up for myself to live off of. I retired at 54 and in doing so rearranged some frivolous material fantasies from my being and replaced them with a practice approach to Life and spending. I drive a 13 year old car as an example. I am only asking for accountability in both the financial worlds on Wall Street and beyond and the banking systems that hold their clients as monetary prisoners. I am very Pro Capitalism, I only ask for fairness to employees and their families who works for companies who supply us with the products that drive a Free Market Economy. Free does not mean anything goes as some political pundits and CEO's want. Free means an inherent right to earn a living and prosper, but never and under no circumstance at the expense and livelihood of others no matter what Color,  Race, Gender, Sexual Orientation, or Creed they may be. Free means the right to pursue your dreams and goals, all the while respecting the Earth's limited capacity to supply us with resources.

I have been waiting quite literally and emphatically my ENTIRE adult life for the youth of this country and beyond to stand up for what they believe in and not have to fear a NYPD police officer beating them with a baton or spraying mace into their eyes. I have been waiting for the people of all nations to stand in solidarity amongst ourselves and return the decision making process back to the people and take it out of the hands of the multinational corporations and their vile and malicious lobbyists that do the bidding for corporations that pay ZERO tax in this country. I commend this generation for using the Smart Phones and Social Networking Websites for something other than posturing and video games. There has not been a movement as widespread as this ever and it is going to rival what occurred for civil rights and ending the Vietnam War in the 60's and 70's. If you believe in the faintest notion that what the Occupy Wall Street movement is doing then find a way to lend a helping hand. There is lots to be done behind the scenes and fundraising is one of them if you do not want to Occupy the front lines.

We are at the crossroads on so many levels that it is starting to get scary what the societies of this World are going to look like in 50 - 100 years. Now is the time; this is the moment and you are a vital player in shaping this world and the way in which future generations will have to live. Running is not much different than any of this. It takes only a little time and the results are mammoth. It is spurred on by an overwhelming urge at times to change things and you will thank your mirror and world for making you look and feel better after you affirm your commitment. Are you the 99% in pursuit of 5% of your days time to better yourself and the world? Rhetorical question. Go out and run and make your voices heard in your local community and by doing so you will have given yourself and this world the ultimate gift.

Be Well and Run Free

No comments: