Tuesday, February 17, 2009

FOLLOW THROUGH

It is important to know why we are running each day and what we are expecting to accomplish with each run. A purpose defines our goal and brings the run into perspective. Our training is only as suitable as the goal we are striving for. The big race here is drawing nearer and nearer and as I define my remaining training runs I am aware of what I am expecting from myself. Nothing short of the desired result will be acceptable and I will use these last 10 days to define such an outcome. Giving it my all is the only option I have. I am a runner because I have passion beyond the norm for many things in my life. The running simply acts as a catalyst for what yet lies ahead for me.

I returned home tonight after attending a forum on "Expectation for Education" and raised my concerns to the Department of Education and the public at large on the Corporal Punishment being administered in the public school system here in the U.S. Virgin Islands which is legal and alive and well. I was compelled to do so and as nervous and anxious as I was I simply had to follow through on this issue. It did not go as planned on many levels, it never really does, but the issue was brought forth to the public by me and for what it's worth it sparked an emotional response from the attendees to say the least. My follow through on this issue is as spirited as my running. It simply has to be done. I am driven to do so at all cost. Passion is the fire that ignites one's drive and thus my resolve to bring this issue to the light of the public at large.

The fervor that is my running now co-exist with my tenacity to see that one day no child should have to live in fear of being paddled or hit in ANY school system anywhere. As I partake on this journey of running I am becoming more and more aware of what it means to be an advocate of change both within myself and for the world at large. Change to me was way more that a buzz word in Barack's Campaign and in his current administration. So I run to change, change myself and the world at large. I will not simply wait for the world to transform, I will be a spark for it in both my running and in my life.

So as I follow through on some of my convictions and when the path gets cloudy, I will simply go on a run and wait for an answer. Be it mile 1 or mile 20 it always comes, I just need to be still within my movement and listen.

Be Well

No comments: