Sunday, February 22, 2009

R n' R

We all long for it, we all need it, yet we forget that it is not a given. It must be earned. Rest and Relaxation are a reward, not an entitlement. I rest only after I have put my miles in. Resting before I put my miles in can often lead to slacking, and that is just not an option. I know, I know, you do not have to be so serious about the running, but sorry, where the passion nestles the fury thus flies. Without the compulsion the journey somehow has less meaning and impact. The Chef who produces a meal without his inner zeal looks for work elsewhere. I will fully rest a day or two after the 8 Tuff Miles race that is coming up this Saturday, the one I will run in 68 minutes or less if I have the kind of day I have trained for and have focused on, well deserved rest as I will push my body and soul like I have never pushed them before. I am on a mission to challenge myself to becoming a better and stronger runner. The sooner I can get to the finish line the better as I also enjoy seeing other runners enter the racing chute and complete their convictions.

R n' R , Right and Wrong, Reading and Arithmetic, the cornerstones and foundations of our children's trek into the world of adulthood. As responsible adults who have chosen to have kids, it is our mandated undertaking to steer them in the direction of a better world. It is beyond my wildest comprehension that so many people think we can accomplish this by LITERALLY beating them. A child does not have the physical or mental capacity to challenge their abusers and thus the ignorance of the perpetrators of Corporal Punishment think that their ways are working. My son loves to chew sugarless gum, he is ardent about it. I am going to start to save all those pieces of chewed gum as a reminder of the unenlightened masses that believe in this band aid approach, this gum in the dike solution of correcting the behavior that us adults have deemed unacceptable. Please note that I understand children need guidance and discipline and that they are no better than what we nurture them towards and teach them. I am raising a son who has never been stricken by me or his mother. Perhaps our attempts at discipline will not produce the swift results that the paddles and beatings produce, but I can assure you that the patience in our approach will yield hundred fold results over the barbaric and archaic practices of Corporal Punishment that is rampant in our society at large. It is very similar to compounding interest in the world of finance. Put a little in now and reap the benefits for decades to come. Teach them that conflict resolution does not have to entail violence and you will be rewarded with a young adult that can navigate their way through society with the tools that are necessary for their survival in a convoluted world. . Many of you reading this know me quite well and are probably thinking I am being hypocritical here. I actually have to agree on some level. I have had a very violent upbringing that has resulted in me resorting, at times, to violence to resolve certain situations or at least propagating it as a means of outcome. I have often gone the way of Machiavelli or LaVey. I make no excuses for my actions nor do I ask for your understanding or forgiveness. I am Guilty as charged. Our lives are works in progress. We can all choose our paths. We can right our wrongs most of the time. We most certainly can break the destructive cycles that cripple our families and society for generations upon generations. So that is my answer to my own hypocrisy. Break the f@#%ing cycle once and for all. I am living proof that striking a child has tremendous negative ramifications on one's life during childhood and beyond. Our children deserve better and it is time we joined the rest of the world in banning Corporal Punishment once and for all.

R n' R, reasoning and resolution, the path to a better outcome for our disagreements. The future is right now. The reasons we have accepted Corporal Punishment into our society no longer hold merit. I often tell my son Luca, "today is the tomorrow you where thinking about yesterday" We must teach our children the proper reasoning that will produce the desired result, one that entails zero violence. We are at this point still teaching them that if something is not going your way or someone is not behaving in the manner you deem acceptable then striking them is a valid resource. The choice is ours. As Spike Lee said and put forth so candidly in his film "Do the right thing".

In leaving you tonight I can only hope that when my son reaches adulthood that this practice of Corporal Punishment will be banned globally. Over 100 countries have done so all ready. As leaders of the so called free world we are setting a very bad example. Be well

No comments: