Wednesday, March 4, 2009

AFTERMATH

Another stellar race on Saturday, highlighted by local running legend Jeremy Zuber's 6th consecutive win and weather from the running God's! Well weather for the spectators anyway. A warm morning with sunny skies graced St. John as 800 plus runners traversed Centerline Road from Cruz Bay to Coral Bay, 8.38 miles, with an elevation gain of 1400 feet in the first 5.5 miles to compete in one of the toughest road races in this sport. Everything fell into place as the field of athletes competed in the 13th annual 8 Tuff Miles road race which has now become a major event for St. John. "The Zube" held off arch running rival Court Lilly in a close race to keep the title on St. John.

Pre race jitters always get the best of me and this race was no different. I ran hard at times, especially the last 3 miles of downhill road, but tried to conserve energy on the unforgiving hills in the middle part of the race. I divide the race into 4 parts as I run it and train for it, and part three, The Hills, as they are known can make or break a runner. They are loathsome at times and can be a physical and psychological barrier to a successful race. Although I still consider myself a newbie to this sport I am starting to get some experience and confidence under my running shoes. I believe our minds are our biggest obstacle to overcome as race day approaches. Many a runner has been shot down by the tricks played in the psyche at the start line. Mastering the mind is a whole other beast to slay and is always a work in progress. We can condition our bodies to peak performance and still have a bad day on the tarmac. Take a look around you at all the runners just before the starting gun is fired and you will see a congregation of deep thinkers with utter resolve.

I ran 1:10:47, 34 seconds slower than the year before. I place 60th overall. I have to pinch myself sometimes when I realize I am running in the top 10% of the field as I never considered myself an athlete before, but I do now. I run 5 days a week year round and train in the Gym also. I am committed to this running lifestyle and hope I am able to continue it with the same zeal I have for it now 10 to 20 years in the future. I never really fully understood why people ran in all types of weather and the distances they covered until I got out on the roads myself and then it ALL made perfect sense. The rewards of a good run, whether it be in a race or in training or in leisure cannot be measured in any said terms. It is something that must be experienced to fully understand the transitions that occur in one's mind when you are out on a run. I like to stay out minimally an hour because it sometimes takes 2-4 miles to find that zone, the one that provides mental clarity, and the best part of the journey is when that state is entered. There are so many times when I am running that I want to just keep going but I stop myself to avoid injury and over training. The first book on running I ever read clearly stated, know why you are running each training run, always know what you want to accomplish that day. I set my goals for my runs prior to their start and usually stay with them. My goal for this race was 68 minutes and I missed it by 2 minutes. My run nonetheless was still a major success but I want to do better, and I will, as I have identified what needs to occur to run a 68. Time will tell next year. Time is the runners friend or enemy depending on the situation. We all have a hidden athlete in us and I am glad I was able to find mine as it has smoothed out some rough edges in my life and for that I am eternally and utterly grateful.

I have stated before that the 8 Tuff Miles and the hills of St. John are a metaphor for life. In most cases this holds true and we make or break it come race day and every day of our lives. Thanx for being part of my journey and Be Well.

1 comment:

Gypsychant said...

Running is a commitment. This creates such a rhythm that your life must feel more at ease. This is the high I got when I went to the yoga retreat and did 2hr yoga sessions 2 times a day. This is what I need to create for myself. You are an inspiration.