Saturday, June 20, 2009

ASCENT

Today I ran trails, I love them, so serene and unforgiving at the same time. The volcanic nature of St. John makes these runs very challenging, just what I want and need out of a good run. 700 ft. ascent in the first mile will test the resolve of any runner and at times will question ones mind as to just what and why we are doing this. On this eve of Fathers day I reflected on the trails, and my status as a father and as a person. Both works in progress and both being fueled by these runs. Running has allowed me to process the vast insanity that is sometimes life. It acts as a filter and sorts the waves of thoughts and reactions to the world at large. I am driven to run far more for the mental and spiritual aspect than for the incredible result on the physical level. My heart and lungs may thank me, but my spirit and soul applauds me. Running is simply the glue holding my life together and as long as I am physically able I plan on running.

I have not posted in 3 and a half months here. I have written an entry on every single one of my runs." Letters in my mind" I use to call them as I have written thousands and thousands of them but they rarely seem to make it to paper or fruition. Life side tracked my writings this season as it has been quite a ride this winter. I often wonder what a runner is thinking as I see them traverse by. Are they as deeply engaged as me in life's alluring nature or are they just happy to be exercising and planning activities for themselves or their family? Whatever the reason we run it is apparent there is something to it as it a wildly popular activity and sport. An undertaking as simple as running produces so much joy for people simply because it is just that, simple. Look at the kids on a playground anywhere on the planet and my point is proven. A natural movement that balances the complex nature of our beings. A motion so routine that it brings us back to the fundamental basics of what our lives are meant to be and edges us towards what is important and what we must cast aside.

I will tell you this much about running, it is the simplest form of exercise and offers the most results on all levels. Your ascent into running will prove this. A solitude sport that produces an outcome of clarity and well being. You can do it ANYWHERE and it requires minimal financial resources. Focus your thoughts on the passion within you and apply it to running and you will soon be thanking yourself for the gift you bestowed upon yourself and the example you are setting for the masses who are slowly killing themselves through inactivity and over eating. In closing please know that running is a simple activity with very complex results. See you on the roads and trails and Be Well!

No comments: